Hello! Thanks so much for visiting ZOMTBAKES.

I no longer post here, but share lots of delicious (and nourishing) recipes over at my new website ZOMT.

Please come join the scrumptious + healthy party!


Check out ZOMT + get your free eBook




BANANA PISTACHIO BIRTHDAY CAKE & BOMBAH COTTAGES

Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Posted by ZOMT

Birthday Cake (2)

What a beautiful birthday weekend away, I can't think of a more lovely way to start my 25th year. (Whew...that was hard typing that out! Still feels weird being 24 years old now.)

Really though, the Bombah Eco Cottages were just so perfect. Our lovely host Rob was kind enough to show us around the entire sustainable system of water filtration to the beautiful vegetable garden. He was so authentic and passionate about it that it was a real pleasure to wander through the property. Next time we are up there I would really like to just spend more time being there.

The Myall Lakes National Parks is full of juxtapositions; from the stringy barks and gum trees, to rich green ferns, to sand dunes and aqua coloured roaring ocenas. So much natural beauty...but I will just let the photos speak for themselves I think...

Anyway, first things first! My delicious Birthday Cake which was a simple variation on another favourite cake of mine. Since I had to take everything with me to bake, I couldn't do anything too crazy...but really, bananas are my favourite so this was perfect.

Birthday Cake (5)

Banana Pistachio Cake
Ingredients
2 tbs butter
2 tbs milk
3 very ripe, mashed bananas
160 g brown sugar (soft)
1 egg
1 cup plain wholemeal flour
1/2 cup ground almonds (or almond meal)
3 tsp baking powder

Pistachio Cream
1 cup whipped cream
2 generous tbs soft brown sugar
1/2 cup ground pistachios

Birthday Cake (1)

Method

Beat the butter with the brown sugar until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and continue to beat until smooth. Then beat through the mashed up banana.

Combine the wholemeal flour, ground pistachios & baking powder. Fold through the banana mixture until smooth. Then fold through the milk until all smooth.

Spoon mixture into a greased cake tin and bake at 170Celsius for around 40-45 minutes. Check it at the 30 minute mark cause you don't want to over cook this. The top should be nice and golden.

To make the Pistachio Cream, simply whip the cream and brown sugar together with an electric beater and then fold through the ground pistachios. Spread between the cake layer and all over if you like! Or just serve warm with a dollop on the side. Delicious!

Birthday Cake (4)

Now a few photos from the weekend...a few more than a few...but so hard to choose as there was just so much beautiful scenery everywhere.

Bombah Cottages (3)

Bringing the outside environment inside. Beautiful.

Bombah Cottages (5)

Bombah Cottages (6)

Vegetable garden....

Bombah Cottages (18)

Lovely big fat hens! These gals do a fabulous job of turning over the soil for the vegetable garden. Very friendly too.

Bombah Cottages (15)

Bombah Cottages (1)

Did I mention the delicious fresh steak we had? John did a beautiful olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and parsley marinade. I love beautiful, simple flavours. YUM!

Bombah Cottages (23)

A lovely, eccentric cafe called Two Cows Cafe; full of antiques and old objects. Lovely chicken pesto and salad for lunch. Great find on a little country road.

Two Cow Cafe (6)

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a gorgeous place!!! I know I would love it there. I LOVE how eco friendly it is there!

And this cake...amazing! Never have I seen a pistacho frosting but honestly cannot wait to try this!

I hope your birthday was wonderful, as it looks it was!! :) Happy Belated :)

ZOMT said...

It was a beautiful place, so relaxing. Actually I have never seen a pistachio frosting either haha but I love pistachios so much so just made it up!
Thanks for the birthday wishes :)

Amrita said...

The cake is exquisite! I can just imagine the yumminess of banana with pistachio!

Gala said...

I am crazy for pistachios and this cake sounds amazing, I bet you could pump up the flavor even more using pistachio puree...

ZOMT said...

Amrita - total yumminess!
Gala - how would you make a pistachio puree?

gfs said...

I'm very jealous of your birthday weekend away and at such an eco friendly place too! Love it!

The cake looks absolutely SCRUMMY and the pistachio frosting is a great idea - I' sure you both gobbled the whole thing up - right after the steak and for breakfast the next morning too!

ZOMT said...

Haha we were so full after the steak that we did actually have the cake for brekkie...so naughty, but it was my Birthday so I can do what I want!

gfs said...

yes one is allowed to eat cake for breakfast on her own birthday. Whomever is with them is just lucky they ge to do so too!

Gala said...

Well I personally buy my pistachio puree in specialty shops or baking supply stores but I bet you could make it at home as well with a food processor, it's basically a pistachio paste you can add to pretty much anything. I'ts completely natural, although some brands add a small amount of sugar to it.

Here is a link so you could get an idea of how it's sold:

http://purelyorganic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=38&products_id=72

Coffee and Vanilla said...

What a great combo, my husband tells me that banana and pistachio ice cream are great too ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails