Hello! Thanks so much for visiting ZOMTBAKES.

I no longer post here, but share lots of delicious (and nourishing) recipes over at my new website ZOMT.

Please come join the scrumptious + healthy party!


Check out ZOMT + get your free eBook




BANANA ALMOND CAKE WITH HONEY MASCARPONE & PISTACHIOS

Sunday, June 21, 2009
Posted by ZOMT


This banana cake is so moist and soft. It is not dense though, and retains a beautiful light texture. Honeyed mascarpone cheese frosting, with ground almonds mixed through; finishes the flavour wonderfully - but careful not to go too overboard with the mascarpone as it will become to sweet I think. I added the pistachios to add some texture, but the flavour also compliment is and adds another dimension.

Overall, I am very happy with this banana cake. We had it on Saturday afternoon with coffee while it was pouring down with rain outside. Makes it taste even better!

Banana Almond Cake

Ingredients
2 tbs butter
2 tbs milk
3 very ripe, mashed bananas
160 g brown sugar (soft)
1 egg
1 cup plain wholemeal flour
1/2 cup ground almonds (or almond meal)
3 tsp baking powder

Mascarpone Frosting
1 cup mascarpone cheese
2 generous tbs organic honey
1/4 cup ground almonds



Method
Beat the butter with the brown sugar until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and continue to beat until smooth. Then beat through the mashed up banana; don't worry if there are some banana chunks in there.

Combine the wholemeal flour, ground almonds & baking powder. Fold through the banana mixture until smooth. Then fold through the milk until all smooth.


Spoon mixture into a greased cake tin and bake at 170Celsius for around 40-45 minutes. Check it at the 30 minute mark cause you don't want to over cook this. The top should be nice and golden.

For the frosting, simply whisk together all ingredients until nice and smooth. Add a bit more ground almonds to thicken it up if you like.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am always impressed by how pistachios can make themselves at home in almost any dish, sweet or savory. Growing up, I only knew them as a snack food at the holidays, complete with the tell-tale red fingertips. So glad those days are behind me!

I found you on TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
Casey
Editor
www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

Jennifer said...

This sounds and looks great!!! I love the healthy kick using wholemeal and almond flour! Yum!

ZOMT said...

Casey - Pistachios are very versatile, I particularly love the colours of them. and thanks, I'll have a look at your site :)

Jennifer - I try not to use white flour as much as possible; its got no nutritional value and basically turns to glue in your stomach! So yes, wholemeal is always my first choice.

Erica said...

Yum - nice play on the almonds and pistachios! I'll need to modify a bit, but sounds delicious.

Joaquin said...

But how do you do the Mascarpone frosting??!?!

ZOMT said...

Erica - gluten free? I would just use all almond flour, I was nearly going to but didn't have enough almonds. It won't be as fluffy but will be beautifully rich.
Joaquin - Sorry! I'll update the post with the frosting!

Dee said...

I don't usually use milk when i bake. How long would this cake last?

I am going to try it as I use bananas for banana bread all the time. Mascarpone frosting sounds yummy.

Hop over to my blog to enter my custom designed stickers giveaway

It'd be great to help to promote your business.

ZOMT said...

Dee - well it didn't last very long in my house! It was divided up and sent off to friends as well so was gone in 24hrs. But I think in the fridge a few days.

Unknown said...

Hi!! I love this recipe. Just a question, what's the size of the pan used in this recipe?

Related Posts with Thumbnails