Hello! Thanks so much for visiting ZOMTBAKES.

I no longer post here, but share lots of delicious (and nourishing) recipes over at my new website ZOMT.

Please come join the scrumptious + healthy party!


Check out ZOMT + get your free eBook




PEPITA PROTEIN BITES

Monday, December 14, 2009
Posted by ZOMT


Pepitas sure do pack a punch for something so little! I love these little seeds, they are a great snack and have a delicious, nutty flavour. They are high in protein and also the amino acid L-Tryptophan which acts as a building block in protein biosynthesis. (Humans needs 10-20 different amino acids from food.) Pepitas are also rich in vitamins E, C and A as well as many minerals.

I often add them to porridge, muesli or salads...but this is the first time I have made a whole snack based on them. Super easy and super tasty, this is a great way to grab an on-the-go protein bite.


Pepita Protein Bites
serves 25, approx. 88 calories per serve
approx. macronutrient breakdown: 3.5g protein, 6.2g fat, 5.6g carbohydrate (2.9 sugar)

Ingredients
270g pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
50g whole almonds
25g besan flour
25g wheat germ
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp mixed spice
60g treacle (or molasses)
30g honey


Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
Mix all dry ingredients together. Spread out onto a baking tray and toast in the oven for about 5 mins.


Place the dry ingredients (still hot) into a large bowl and drizzle molasses and honey over. Mix through until well combined then spread into a line baking dish, pressing down firmly.
Bake for about 20-25mins or until golden brown. Allow to cool then cut into squares. Store in the fridge.


4 comments:

gfs said...

Yum! I'm going to try a gluten free version sometime over summer. Great for after a workout!

fresh365 said...

Such a great idea! I have granola bars on my to-do list, but I love your addition of pepitas!

Unknown said...

I tried the recipe and they are really good. I added some chopped up dried cranberries to it for so extra flavor.

ZOMT said...

Jas - perfect for after a workout, I have one or two with a protein shake. Just enough to fill you up!
Erin - pepitas are so good so it just seemed right to make 'muesli' bars from them. Homemade is so much better than store bought isn't it!
Woodinville Dave - cranberries are a fantastic idea, perfect for the festive season too!! Will have to try that myself. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails