Hello! Thanks so much for visiting ZOMTBAKES.

I no longer post here, but share lots of delicious (and nourishing) recipes over at my new website ZOMT.

Please come join the scrumptious + healthy party!


Check out ZOMT + get your free eBook




LEMON BIRTHDAY PUDDINGS

Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Posted by ZOMT


This past weekend we went away on a little holiday up to the Hunter Valley region. We stayed in the most beautiful lodges overlooking the valley as far as the eye could see. It was just amazing.

It was John's birthday on the Thursday leading up to it, so I asked what sort of Birthday Cake he would like me to make...but no cake...Lemon Puddings. I was secretly hoping for a spectacular layer cake because I never really have the chance to make them; but these little puddings were so so delicious and light that I am glad he didn't want a cake! A fluffy, warm citrus top followed by a tangy, creamy sauce as you dig deeper. It was a bit of an ordeal because I had to take my handheld electric mixer on holiday...but really I don't think anyone who knows me would be surprised it was invited too!

You know, I think I have developed a bit of a fondness for lemons. Lemon is actually the common name for Citrus Limon. Sounds nice like that I think. I like that you can use the juice, and the flesh and the zest of the Citrus Limon. I hate to waste food, especially fresh produce...so it makes me happy. Yellow makes me happy too.


(The recipe is modified slightly from a Woman's Weekly one (that Naomi, the creator of these cupcakes,) kindly lent to me along with some ramekins.)

Lemon Birthday Puddings

Ingredients
(serves 2 in 1 cup ramekins)
65g organic butter, melted
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
3/4 cup organic raw sugar
2 eggs, separated
1/2 cup wholemeal spelt flour
60ml fresh lemon juice
165ml milk


Method
Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius in a fan forced oven.
Combine melted butter, lemon rind, sugar & egg yolks in a large bowl. Stir in sifted flour & lemon juice. Gradually stir in the milk until it is a smooth, runny mixture.
Beat the egg whites in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites through the lemon mixture in two batches.
Place your ramekins into a baking dish, pour the mixture into each ramekin (leaving about 1 cm from the top for it to rise a bit.) Pour boiling water carefully into the baking dish around the ramekins (careful not to splash!) to about halfway up the ramekins.
Bake for 40-45 mins until the puddings are just lightly golden on top.
Serve with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and if you like, some pistachio praline & candied lemon zest. mmmmm!

Labels: , ,

4 comments:

Anita said...

Great photos! The pudding looks beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I love lemon, I can tell that these would be heavenly!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious as always! :)

ZOMT said...

Anita - thanks :) although, I hate to take photos when it is not daylight...but puddings like these need to be eaten straight away.
Amanda - aren't Lemon's just the best?!
foodnfit - thanks lovely :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails