Hello! Thanks so much for visiting ZOMTBAKES.

I no longer post here, but share lots of delicious (and nourishing) recipes over at my new website ZOMT.

Please come join the scrumptious + healthy party!


Check out ZOMT + get your free eBook




LOTS-OF-THINGS BUCKWHEAT MUFFINS

Monday, July 11, 2011
Posted by ZOMT


I first made these tasty little muffins for a nutrition & wellness event with some mums and their kids - they were gobbled up by all and I was very impressed I got the little ones approval too. The original ones were just a basic berry buckwheat and millet muffin...I refrained from nuts and oats for those with food intolerance. These are the ones with lots more things in them! How can you go wrong with raspberries, coconut, almonds, oats & 85% dark chocolate?


Just to clarify, I'm not a huge muffin fan really...if I eat something sweetie I'd rather a brownie or cookie any day...but I did enjoy one of these; so they must be doing something right in the taste department. Plus they are super easy to make, think one bowl mix-a-thon.



Lots-of-Things Buckwheat Muffins 
makes 12 muffins


Ingredients
100g butter
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup raw sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarb soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup frozen raspberries
3/4 cup dessicated or moist coconut
100g 85% dark Lindt chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup raw almonds, chopped


Method
Preheat a fan forced oven until 170 degrees Celsius. Whisk melted butter, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract & almond milk together. Sift flour, salt, baking soda & bicarb soda over the bowl. Add in oats and fold until just combined. Fold through raspberries, coconut, chocolate and nuts. Sprinkle extra coconut on top if you like. Spoon into cupcake liners and bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly golden.

9 comments:

julia said...

oh these look phenomenal. i want

Heidi @ Food Doodles said...

Those look fantastic! I love the ingredients list, they look like something I would love :)

Charissa said...

This looks crazy good. My heart is reaching out to them...

Nevermind. That sounded ridiculously sappy. Let's just say "I'd love these for breakfast!" :)

Dolly said...

ive never eaten buckwheat b4.. interesting.. muffins hehee

ZOMT said...

Julia - thanks! they are super easy, try them!
Heidi - love your blog, those whole wheat choc chip cookies look like something that I love :)
Charissa - ha ha sappy but thanks! They are very nice for brekkie indeed, that's how we had them.
Dolly - buckwheat is quite versatile, try the flour in baking or you can use groats to make porridge.

Michael said...

Hi Zoe, I just made this with some modifications. Very good.

My edits: (a) Used cracked buckwheat groats/kasha instead of buckwheat flour, and pulverized them for 1-2 minutes in my blender. I also lightly blended the rolled oats. (b) Reduced buckwheat to 1/2 cup, and added 1/2 cup of all purpose flour. (c) yoghurt instead of almond milk, oil instead of butter; (d) 1 T of wheat germ instead of crushed almonds; (d) no chocolate; (e) Frozen sweetened sour cherries instead of raspberries. (f) baked in an oval loaf pan instead of muffins. (g) used grated frozen coconut.

This sounds like a lot of edits, but I think it's very close in spirit to your recipe.

Very tasty! A tad sweet for me, I think the sugar could have been reduce from 1/2c total to around 1/3c. My cherries were a little sweetened, so that boosted the sweetness also.

ZOMT said...

Hi Michael, your version sounds delicious! They were quite sweet, but I had made these for others and I would also reduce the sugar a little if just for me - I prefer flavour over sweetness any day! LOVE the idea of sour cherries in them, delicious. Glad you were inspired to create your own version too; that's half the fun of sharing recipes is seeing other's interpretations :)

Elaine said...

Can you tell me the nutritional info for these muffins?
Fat and calorie count as well? They taste to good to be good for you!!!!!! Easy to make as well, I substituted apple jam for the butter, blueberries for the raspberries and flaxseed for the oats.

ZOMT said...

Hey Elaine, I'm actually putting this in my recipe ebook - so I have all that info at home. I'll post it up later today! Your subs sound yummy! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails