Hello! Thanks so much for visiting ZOMTBAKES.

I no longer post here, but share lots of delicious (and nourishing) recipes over at my new website ZOMT.

Please come join the scrumptious + healthy party!


Check out ZOMT + get your free eBook




WINTER RHUBARB & APPLE PORRIDGE

Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Posted by ZOMT


You know what I LOVE about winter? Even when I am sick of the cold mornings and yearning for the beach and a sun tan and salt in my hair and sand between my toes and icy poles and....I digress...
The thing I love about winter is Porridge EVERY morning, (yes with a capital 'P'.) I do count myself as a bit of a Porridge Expert and love to create different flavours each day.

Winter Rhubarb & Apple Porridge

Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup wheatgerm
2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
2 tbsp pepitas
1/2 grated apple
1/2 chopped apple
Stewed rhubarb
1 cup water
1/2 cup soy milk

Method
Soak the oats, wheatgerm, flaxseeds & pepitas in the water for 30mins minimum - preferably overnight. This softens the oats and makes them quicker to cook and creamier.
If you don't have time to soak, you just need to slow down the cooking process.
Add the grated/chopped apple and soy milk then mix through. Over a low heat, stirring regularly cook until smooth and creamy. Add some more soy (or water) as it thickens.
Serve HOT with a dollop of cold rhubarb and apple slices. DELICIOUS.


5 comments:

Creative Classroom Core said...

I LOVE PORRIDGE! What a fantastic recipe for it! Bookmarking this one for sure! Love the rhubarb!

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing recipe...so good for you. What a way to start the morning!
YUM!

Jennifer said...

This looks SO good! I've been putting stewed rhubarb in my oats lately, need to try with apple too! thanks :)

gfs said...

Oh, I so love porridge... I really must find one for me this winter!

ZOMT said...

Jas - what about with quinoa or brown rice? (I just put some brown rice in with my oats to soak overnight actually!)
http://www.goodness.com.au/organic-quinoa-porridge-gluten-free.html
http://www.betalife.com.au/en/recipe/brown-rice-porridge

Related Posts with Thumbnails