Hello! Thanks so much for visiting ZOMTBAKES.

I no longer post here, but share lots of delicious (and nourishing) recipes over at my new website ZOMT.

Please come join the scrumptious + healthy party!


Check out ZOMT + get your free eBook




CHOCOLATE & HAZELNUT COOKIES (for Jas)

Sunday, July 26, 2009
Posted by ZOMT


I had a craving to make something classic...something everyone loves. You can't really go past chocolate chip cookies & milk for snack satisfaction.
However, I wanted to make these gluten free so the lovely Jas from the Gluten Free Scallywag could enjoy them too!
Well, as it turns out Oats aren't actually gluten free. So I retract my previous statement about these being gluten free...cause uh...they're not. However, I'm sure you can replace the oat flour with a REAL gluten free flour!


These cookies are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside - just how I like them! The hazelnuts add a beautiful flavour to them and I just like dark chocolate so it is taking considerable will power not to overeat these little ones.


Ingredients
150g organic butter (unsalted)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup soft brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 3/4 cups oat flour
100g dark cooking chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup roasted hazelnuts, chopped


Method
Preheat oven to 160 degree celsius.
Beat the butter, vanilla essence and sugars together until creamy and smooth (1-2 minutes.) Add the egg and beat until the mix lightens and is a whipped consistency.
Stir in the oat flour (I ground whole oats in a nut grinder) until well combined, then fold through the chopped chocolate and hazelnuts until evenly distributed.
Spoon tablespoon size balls onto a lined baking tray; these spread quite a bit so ensure there is sufficient space in between them.
Bake for 16-20 minutes until golden.
Cool on a wire rack and try not to burn your mouth sneaking a few here and there. I think these take better once they have cooled because they are lovely and chewy.


Labels: , ,

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's the problem: I had considerable difficulties passing this recipe up, and then I began drooling as soon as I saw the pictures...so I am pretty sure I will burn my tongue trying to scarf these down hot out of the oven.

ZOMT said...

theforeignkitchen - Just think of all the cookies you won't be able to taste with a burnt tongue!

gfs said...

Thanks Zoe! They look absolutely delicious but you will need to change the title because Coeliacs can't have oat/oatflour as it's contaminated with gluten! So no rye, barley, wheat or oats for me :( (thats right no porridge either)

I'll see about amending them, although I will be posting some amazing gluten free cookies soon!

ZOMT said...

Jas - haha well you learn something new everyday! Here I was thinking I was being all good and gluten free...what flour would you use then?? I will have to try out your gluten free cookies when you post them :)

gfs said...

and you tried so hard, but its the thought that counts! I'd probably do a mix of almond meal and hazelnut meal or plain GF Flour? I'm not too sure, I use White Wings Gluten Free flour as substitutes in recipes usually with almond meal for the texture, it's really all about experimenting... usually with a few failures :)

Anonymous said...

I love the photographs and the cookies look awesome really!

laurelvb said...

Jas/Zoe:
It's not the oats that are the problem. It's the way they are processed. Most oats are processed in facilities that also process wheat. You can, however, buy certified gluten free oats which have been processed in a dedicated gluten free facility. I hope this helps. I'd scarf down those cookies myself if I could find a butter substitute that's actually edible.

Anonymous said...

I love this picture--looks delicious!

gfs said...

Laurelvb - don't worry I know there are gluten free oats out there (that are grown no where near wheat and processed in a GF facility), I just haven't bought any yet but I have found them. I didn't think that Zoe would want to pay $9 a packet like me considering her love of oats! Butter? I've got a tub of Nuttelex that I'm about to experiment with for my girlfriend who can't have lactose - have you tried this?

laurelvb said...

Nuttelex? What's in it and can I get it stateside, or are you in the states? I don't know why but whenever I replace butter with any kind of oil or margarine, even Earth Balance, all I can taste is the replacement. I can't do soy either which makes some of those replacements difficult too. Hopefully, Nuttelex is made from nuts? And you are so right! Those gluten free oats are outrageous so I save mine for special occasions like my semi yearly craving for oatmeal raisin cookies! P.S. This is the first time I've read your blog but I'll be back. Please don't confuse me with the Governor of California though. LOL

ZOMT said...

You know I love oats that much that if I was Coeliac I would pay $9 for a bag of certified gluten free oats! Nuttelex is an oil based spread - http://www.nuttelex.com.au/nuttelex-original/ - I haven't baked with it so would be curious as to how you go Jas.
You might be able to use a combination of a vegetable/macadamia oil and apple sauce to replace the butter laurelvb; would be healthier too!

gfs said...

Yeah, you would Zoe!
Laurelvb, no Nuttelex isn't available in the states - sorry! I'm thinking substituting with say almond 'butter' or peanut butter or maybe even nuttela? Or as Zoe said an oil based cookie with apple puree as substitutes would probably work, there's definitely options out there its just a matter of trying, I'm onto my second batch of Gluten, lactose 9the nuttelex is going well Zoe) and egg free chocolate cookies, once they're perfected they'll be on glutenfreescallywag.com and hopefully I won't be the size of a house by the time they're perfected!

Jennifer said...

Zoe, I am chiming in what the others stated about the oats...you can buy certified gluten free oats that are free from contamination. Bobs Red Mill makes them. Im not sure about international shipping.

These cookies look SOOO good regardless!! I adore chocolate hazelnut together!!

Sprouted Kitchen said...

what a gorgeous blog you have! I am not gluten free, but like flavors of that nature, so this looks perrrffectt! great combo with the choc and hazlenuts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails