Hello! Thanks so much for visiting ZOMTBAKES.

I no longer post here, but share lots of delicious (and nourishing) recipes over at my new website ZOMT.

Please come join the scrumptious + healthy party!


Check out ZOMT + get your free eBook




TREACLE & SPICE ZOMTCOOKIES

Monday, October 19, 2009
Posted by ZOMT


I was craving ginger, or cinnamon or something with sweet spices in it which is where these amazing cookies came from. I just love cinnamon and spices, I am so frustrated that I can't find anywhere to buy more than just a little jar of it...I need BULK!
These cookies are adapted from a few recipes to make them healthier; reducing the sugar to half, egg whites for protein without the fat, wholemeal and oat flours and some prunes for fiber.
These are still quite sugary of course, so still snack in moderation - but you don't need to feel too guilty about one with a cup of tea! (You could leave out rolling them in sugar at the end, but the dough is quite sticky and difficult to work with.)


Treacle & Spice ZOMTCookies
24 serves / approx 110 calories per serve
approx macronutrient breakdown: fat 1.9g, carb 22.6g (3.9g sugar), protein 2.3g


Ingredients
10 pitted prunes
1/2 cup hot water
1 1/2 cups wholewheat flour
1 cup oat flour (or processed oats)
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup raw sugar (plus more for rolling dough in)
2 tbsp macadamia oil (or vegetable/nut oil)
1/4 cup treacle (or light molasses)
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten


Method
Preheat the over to 180 degrees celsius. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Cover the prunes with hot water and set aside to soften for 5 or 10 minutes. In the meantime, whisk the wholewheat flour, oat flour, spices, salt & baking soda together in a large bowl.
Once softened, pour the prunes and water into a food processor and process until smooth. Add the raw sugar, treacle & oil and pulse until smooth and creamy, wiping down the sides as necessary.
Pour the wet ingredients & lightly beaten egg whites into the flour, then mix until combined. The dough will be sticky but should be firm enough to spoon into rough round shapes. Spoon tablespoon sized rounds directly onto a plate of sugar and lightly roll to cover.
Place the sugared rounds onto the baking tray and press the rounds down a little; they don't spread out much.

6 comments:

A Bowl Of Mush said...

These must taste amazing!

I'm a huge treacle fan, these cookies are just my thing!

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me aprox how many cookies this made?
Emily

Anonymous said...

Sorry, me again, I forgot to ask, if I cannot find oat flour, where would I find the processed oats? Are they in the same aisle at the store as the regular say oatmeal.
I am in the United States, in case you were wondering...
Emily

ZOMT said...

ABowlOfMush - yes yes they do! They need to get out of my kitchen because they keep ending up in my mouth if I have coffee or tea!
Emily - it makes about 2 dozen 1 1/2 - 2 inch cookies. Sorry, 'processed oats' isn't very clear. I meant to just used regular steel cut oats and put them through a food processor to turn them into a flour. This is what I did and it works just fine :) Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL. Thanks for the reply I will be making these in the near future!
Emily

Anna said...

Wow, a healthy cookie that's yummy..I'm all for that!

Related Posts with Thumbnails