Hello! Thanks so much for visiting ZOMTBAKES.

I no longer post here, but share lots of delicious (and nourishing) recipes over at my new website ZOMT.

Please come join the scrumptious + healthy party!


Check out ZOMT + get your free eBook




CARROT FIG & WALNUT MUFFINS

Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Posted by ZOMT


Update 29/10/09: Mansi from Fun & Food Cafe kindly invited me to submit these delicious muffins to the Sweet Celebrations competition. So I have! I hope my little carroty muffins try their hardest!

I had lots of carrots for some reason, and didn't really feel like munching through a whole bag of them even though I do love them just like that...so I decided to make some muffins for during the week. Not wanting to make just another carrot cake recipe, I added in some delicious spices, walnuts and dried figs. The flavours combine so wonderfully. And these aren't too unhealthy for a yummy afternoon snack or as part of your breakfast. Or just go all out and serve it warm with a spoon of vanilla ice cream!

 



Carrot Fig & Walnut Muffins
serves 12 / approx. 146.7 calories per serve
approx. macronutrient breakdown: fat 6.6g / carbs 21.4g (3.1g sugar) / protein 6.0g

Ingredients
100g almond meal
70g steel cut oats, ground (or oat flour)
30g wholemeal plain flour
100g brown sugar
1/8 cup hot water
2 egg whites
2/3 cup low fat soy milk
100g natural yoghurt
1 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1 tbsp mixed spice, ground
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
200g carrots, peeled & grated
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped finely
1/4 cup dried figs, chopped finely




Method
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius, and line a muffin pan with papers.
In a large bowl, whisk together almond meal, oat flour, wholemeal flour, bicarb soda & spices.
Over a low heat, dissolve the brown sugar and hot water and allow to simmer gently for a few minutes. Remove from heat and whisk through natural yoghurt until smooth. Beat egg whites in a stand mixer (or use a hand held beater,) to soft peaks and then slowly drizzle half the sugar and yoghurt mixture in, continuously beating.
Fold the remaining sugar and yoghurt mixture and soy milk into the dry ingredients. Add half the eggwhites, carrots, walnuts and figs and mix well. Fold through the remaining egg whites until combined.
Spoon batter into the papers to about 3/4 full. Top each muffin with a chopped walnut or fig and bake for 18-20 minutes.



12 comments:

Chocolate Shavings said...

Those sounds really good - and what a good way to use up leftover carrots!

Ginny Landt said...

Where did you get those cupcake/muffin liners?

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Oh these look so delicious!

ZOMT said...

Hi Ginny, I ordered my online from Cake Deco http://cakedeco.com.au/product.asp?productID=3043

This is the link to the Wilton site http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E315459-475A-BAC0-584733D0E13452B6

Hope that helps you find some!

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) said...

These look amazing--I've been dying to try Figs, I've never had one!

Mansi said...

I'm amazed at how many different ingredients you have in that list there! definitely interesting, and a ecipe I'll surely try:)

this could be a great addition to my sweet celebrations event on my blog!:)

ZOMT said...

Dawn - you have to get some figs! Fresh ones are beautiful with cheese and the dried are sweet and perfect for baking :)
Mansi - thanks, I'll enter it in!

MAN IN THE MIRROR said...

oh zoe my mouth watering i like it !
from:indian blogger
srinivasa rao.sappa
srinivas.gemini@gmail.com

becca said...

Carrot-fig-walnut are you kidding me? Three of the best foods on the planet in one baked piece of heaven? I love you forever!

ZOMT said...

Thanks Becca! I had one of these just a few weeks ago - they stored really well in the freezer :)
It's a great flavour combination...I'm thinking I want to try some muesli bars with carrot, fig and walnuts next!

mellynherbelly said...

This recipe is a total must if you are trying to find healthy alternatives for your sweet tooth :)

I omitted the brown sugar and substituted with 2tbs honey and 1 tsp rice syrup.

They probably weren't as sweet as normal recipe but the tasty figs more than make up for it..

ZOMT said...

Great idea mellynherbelly! the figs are quite sweet :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails