Hello! Thanks so much for visiting ZOMTBAKES.

I no longer post here, but share lots of delicious (and nourishing) recipes over at my new website ZOMT.

Please come join the scrumptious + healthy party!


Check out ZOMT + get your free eBook




BANANA & APPLE WALNUT BREAD

Thursday, October 8, 2009
Posted by ZOMT


*Excited to be featured on Glamour.com Health & Fitness blog by Sarah Jio; see it here!

After booking last minute flights down to Melbourne this weekend to visit my family and lovely girlfriends; I realised that I had quite a bit of perishable food that I wasn't going to be able to eat in the next 24hrs!

A delicious vegetable bolognaise sauce cooked in the slow cooker got rid of 5 tomatoes, 1 eggplant, 1 onion, 4 carrots, some sage and 500g beef mince. (I might put the recipe up here later as well.) It is in the freezer for when I get back on Monday; can't wait to have it with some wholemeal spaghetti! But I still had apples and bananas...so I decided that since I love banana bread so much for breakfast that I would make some to freeze as well. I like to keep the added sugar low, and found a great new 'Low GI' sugar at the supermarket recently. The almond meal and walnuts add some good, healthy fats to keep you satiated throughout the morning too. Of course, whole meal spelt flour for extra nutrients and no butter or oils.

(I'll be honest though, it didn't all make it to the freezer; I had a piece this afternoon and put two in the fridge for a quick breakfast tomorrow morning!)


Banana Apple & Walnut Bread

Ingredients

2 large bananas, mashed
1 apple, grated (with skin on)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup 'LoGiCane' sugar
1 cup whole meal spelt flour
3/4 cup almond meal
1 tbsp baking powder (aluminum/gluten free)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Method
Mix the mashed bananas with the sugar, and beat in the egg. Fold the grated apple and spices through. Combine the almond meal and mix thoroughly.
Sift the wholemeal flour and baking powder and gently fold through until nearly combined. Add the walnut and fold a few more times. (Do not over mix or you will toughen the gluten in the flour.)
Spray a loaf dish with canola oil and line with a sheet of baking paper. Spoon the mixture in and flatten the top. Bake at 160 degrees celsius for 40-45 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.

Labels: , , ,

4 comments:

stephchows said...

ooo you are a girl after my own heart!! who needs butter and oil in baked goods! Can't wait to check out your archives!

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful and I just bookmarked it to give it a try.

Rachel said...

I made this this weekend. When it came out of the oven I thought, oh great, another disgusting healthy cake.

Oh was I wrong. This thing is amazing. Like, already planning on baking it as soon as I polish off the last piece amazing. Utterly wonderful, you will not regret. Oh, and I made it with whole wheat pastry flour and I still adored it.

ZOMT said...

So glad you enjoyed it Rachel! I know what you mean about "another disgusting healthy cake" haha...I have tried a few of those and would rather just not eat it at all sometimes; I have actually thrown some recipes into the bin straight away. But not this one!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails