Hello! Thanks so much for visiting ZOMTBAKES.

I no longer post here, but share lots of delicious (and nourishing) recipes over at my new website ZOMT.

Please come join the scrumptious + healthy party!


Check out ZOMT + get your free eBook




CHILI CINNAMON BROWNIES

Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Posted by ZOMT



These warm, spicy brownies were my relapse from baking. I have been trying not to bake so much lately for a number of reasons;

1. summer is around the corner & the warmer weather is much more fun spent outdoors;
2. I have been back into training and running lately so need proper food, I mean FUEL to keep the energy levels up;
3. I'm in between jobs at the moment and have been trying to watch the dollars...and they seem to fall out of my wallet rapidly near any source of food. Especially those which I don't actually NEED.

So it's all be very practical and boring in my little apartment lately. I have essentially been living through my friend Pip's kitchen, calling her daily asking "whatcha baking?" and then drooling all over my iPhone as she describes each recipe she is creating in her brand new kitchen. Did I mention she has a brand new kitchen? Like, a normal sized one. Don't get me started.

Anyway, since I have been so well behaved, I decided a that just a little baking would be ok. I made a tiny, half batch of amazing Chili Cinnamon Brownies which I think are my new favourite way to have chocolate. Just like salt give chocolate that delicious lift, spice really creates a new depth to the dark chocolate flavour. Mmmm gives a whole new meaning to hot chocolate.

You could easily increase the chili amount I think, these don't really have any real kick to them; just a beautiful spicy warmth. Trust, I am not a huge fan of chili; if the flavours causes any ounce of sweat or makes my tongue numb at all, then the meal is ruined as far as I am concerned. I am all about spice flavour. Not taste bud
annihilation.
Chili Cinnamon Brownies
Ingredients
40g organic butter
100g dark chocolate
70g applesauce
1/2 cup organic panela sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup wholemeal flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp hot chilli powder

Method
Preheat a fan forced oven to 180 degrees celsius. Prepare a loaf dish by lightly spraying with canola oil and lining the length with baking paper to allow for easy removal.

Over a very low heat or in a double boiler, gently melt the sugar, chocolate, butter, cinnamon and chilli powder until smooth and combined. Remove from heat and pour into a larger mixing bowl. Stir through applesauce and allow to cool a little before adding in eggs, beating well to combine. Sift flour and cocoa powder over the bowl and fold through until just combined.

Pour into the prepared dish and bake for 20mins until just set. Once baked, remove from oven and allow to cool totally before removing from dish. Slice and store in the fridge or freezer; the flavours will really settle by the next day. Serve with a pinch of cinnamon and chili powder on top for a little extra kick!

Labels: ,

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I LOVE combining chocolate with spices! These brownies look amazing!!

Muneeba said...

Your pics are amazing ... I'm totally salivating over these brownies! I've had chocolate with a hint of sweet curry powder before, which I loved, so these really speak to me!

ZOMT said...

Jennifer - they are amazing even though they don't have as much butter or sugar in them...the applesauce worked really well.
Muneeba - curry powder with chocolate sounds amazing! I'd love to try this recipe with that instead of the straight chili powder.

Related Posts with Thumbnails