Hello! Thanks so much for visiting ZOMTBAKES.

I no longer post here, but share lots of delicious (and nourishing) recipes over at my new website ZOMT.

Please come join the scrumptious + healthy party!


Check out ZOMT + get your free eBook




HUMMINGBIRD CAKE

Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Posted by ZOMT


Hummingbird cake is possibly one of my favourite cakes - but I have never actually made it. This was really yummy but I will change a few things next time.

  1. I won't use hand cut pineapple, the crushed would be better as the flavour is then even throughout the cake. (Although the pineapple chunks were pretty nice little surprise to bite into, perhaps half of each!)
  2. I would add some pecans or maybe walnuts. I LOVE nuts in cakes and this recipe didn't call for any...I only realised after I had baked it or I would have included some.
  3. I didn't make a true cream cheese frosting (i.e. with butter) to get that beautiful fluffy look. I just wasn't in the mood for something too heavy or rich. Next time...
  4. Does anyone know the trick to keeping the top of the cake all smooth and level while it bakes?
All that said, this is really fresh and delicious. Bananas are just the best to bake with.

Hummingbird Cake

Ingredients

440g diced or crushed canned pineapple in syrup
1 cup plain flour
1/2 self raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1 cup mashed banana (approx. 2 large)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup apple sauce

Method
Whisk the flours, bicarb, cinnamon, ginger and sugar together.


Mix mashed banana, pineapple, coconut, oil, applesauce & egg in a seperate bowl.


Fold the dry ingredients in the the wet and bake in a springform cake tin on 160 degree celsius for approximately 45-55 minutes depending on your oven temperature.


Frost with a cream cheese glaze - whisk the cream cheese and add icing sugar until it is smooth and thick enough to hold on the cake. I cut my cake in half and added some icing inside as well.

4 comments:

Justin said...

i've actually never even heard of hummingbird cake before, but it looks really yummy with that frosting on top.

ZOMT said...

You should try one then! Easy to make and nice for afternoon tea or morning tea or...breakfast even?

Jennifer Galatioto said...

I made a hummingbird cake recently, too! It just sounds so good, then when you eat it is IS so good. I made it for Momma's Day. I got the recipe from Women's Day! It was delicious.
Here's the link to my post:
http://mortadifame.blogspot.com/2009/05/hummingbird-cake.html

ZOMT said...

Morta Di Fame - lovely, it is a perfect Mothers' Day cake too! I'll be sure to check out your post, thanks for the comment :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails