Hello! Thanks so much for visiting ZOMTBAKES.

I no longer post here, but share lots of delicious (and nourishing) recipes over at my new website ZOMT.

Please come join the scrumptious + healthy party!


Check out ZOMT + get your free eBook




BUNNY BISCUITS

Tuesday, April 6, 2010
Posted by ZOMT

Bunny Bikkies (2)

My mummy sent me some delicious Lindt Easter eggs in the post. I have decided these are The Best Easter eggs ever....so creamy and such good quality chocolate. Thank you Lindt.

Anyway, she also sent me a very cute, pale pink, bunny shaped biscuit cutter. Way too cute. I just had to make something with it for Easter. I would have like to have modified this recipe to make it healthier i.e. substitute the refined sugar and white flour, and perhaps the butter too. However, I simply didn't have time to mess around and just took these to work so I only ate a few...I ate quite a few Lindt eggs anyway, so it wasn't a particularly virtuous weekend; at least I got some good exercise in! (I would really like to tackle this recipe again though and try these changes.)

They are a lovely tasting biscuit, crumbly and crispy all at once with my favourite ginger and cinnamon spice combination. I found them a smidge too sweet, but this could have just been the use of caster sugar which I never really bake with anymore. Still, great flavour with a cup of tea or coffee and a lovely present to box up for friends and family.

You could use any biscuit cutter shape of course too. I can't guarantee the cuteness though...


Bunny Bikkies (1)

Bunny Biscuits

serves 40 / approx. 60 calories*
approx. macronutrient breakdown: 2.7g fat / 8.3g carbs (3.3g sugar) / 0.8g protein

Ingredients
125g organic unsalted butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg yolk
2 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Method
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and lightly grease or line trays with baking paper.
Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until pale. Add egg yolk and maple syrup, beat to combine until smooth. Sift flour, bicarb soda, cinnamon and ginger over butter mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon to form a stiff dough.
Press dough into a 10cm round shape and roll out between two sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Place, still between the baking paper on a tray and allow to chill in the fridge for 20 minutes until firm enough to handle easily.
Use biscuit cutters to cut out biscuits and place onto prepared trays. Punch a hole with a chopstick for any eyes or details as you wish.
Bake for 10 - 15 minutes** until firm to touch.

*This obviously depends on what size biscuit cutter you use. To work it out, the entire batch of dough is around 2,400 calories; so you can divide this by the number of cookies you get out of the batch.
**Watch them carefully, the time will change again on what size biscuit cutter you use. My bunnies only took around 10 minutes as they are quite small...the first batch burnt to a near crisp in 13 minutes.)


Bunny Bikkies (3)



1 comments:

Valen said...

Oh my gosh, I love your biscuits! They are so cute and perfect! I can't get over it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails