Hello! Thanks so much for visiting ZOMTBAKES.

I no longer post here, but share lots of delicious (and nourishing) recipes over at my new website ZOMT.

Please come join the scrumptious + healthy party!


Check out ZOMT + get your free eBook




TANGELO PISTACHIO & DARK CHOCOLATE COOKIES

Saturday, August 8, 2009
Posted by ZOMT


You know, I think I have found my cookie soul mate. I just wish it was something healthier than these! They will have to be my occasional soul mate...does that even make sense?
I originally saw these beautiful treats on Rebecca's blog Ezra Pound Cake about 1 month ago...I kept meaning to bake them because they have some of my favourite flavours.
So I modified them a little bit, I used tangelos instead of oranges because they are in season and I adore a citrus tang; dark chocolate instead of milk because I'm just like that; wholemeal flour and I reduced the sugar by 100g...which worked out fine because I had some extra moisture from the added tangelo juice (instead of almond extract).
(I am actually going to try and make these again with a healthy kick to them, try some applesauce & natural sugars etc...will let you know if they are a success!)
Read on for the delicious recipe!


Tangelo Pistachio & Dark Chocolate Cookies
Ingredients

320g wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
225g unsalted organic butter
230g soft brown sugar
2 large eggs
grated zest of 1 tangelo
juice of 1 tangelo
110g chopped 70% chocolate (lindt)
110g chopped orange chocolate (lindt)
170g shelled pistachios (whole)


Method
Preheat the oven to 170degrees celsius. Line a tray with baking paper/silicone mat.
Sift the flour, baking powder & salt into a large bowl.
With an electric mixer, beat the room temperature butter & brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time and mix on a low speed. Add the tangelo juice & tangelo grated rind and mix through well.
Fold through the flour and butter mix until just incorporated, then add the chopped chocolate and pistachios. Continue to mix until combined. It will be quite a sticky dough.
Drop tablespoons of the mix onto the lined baking tray and bake for 12-14minutes, remove when the edges are golden but the middle are still pale. Cool on a wire rack.

I like these better once they have cooled because you get that beautiful crunch on the edges and the soft chewy insides. But maybe you like them warm, soft and melty - your choice if you want to burn your tongue!!


Note: You can freeze some for later if you like; to do this, spoon the mixture onto a large sheet of baking paper. Spread it into a rectangle shape, and using the paper roll it into a log like shape about 5 cm in diameter. (Don't worry if it is not very round at this point, it is just to get the sticky dough to a workable state.) Twist the ends up and roll in a tea towel (for padding,) and freeze for about an hour. After the hour is up, remove from the baking paper and wrap up tightly in some plastic wrap. Roll on a smooth surface until nice and cylindrical and wrap back up in the tea towel; now you can freeze it for later! To bake, cut about 2cm thick slices and arrange on a tray with 5cm spacing; allow to defrost for 15mins and then bake as per above.

Labels: , ,

7 comments:

Sprouted Kitchen said...

pistachios are my favorite nut! Affection towards dark chocolate goes without saying. Curious to see how your 'lighter' version turns out...

Anonymous said...

Wow do I love this idea! I agree with Sprouted Kitchen - pistachios are far and away my favorite nut. The combination of it with orange and chocolate must be heavenly. I planned to make biscotti this weekend, so I'll be running to the store for these three ingredients soon! Thanks.

Cheers,

*Heather*

ZOMT said...

I seem to put pistachios in everything! So delicious and such a beautiful colour too, can't go wrong!

Heather, please submit that biscotti recipe to ZOMT RECIPE HOARD!! It sounds delicious.
www.zomtrecipes.blogspot.com

Meaghan said...

Hi :) Sorry I was just wondering, should it be the listed amount of flour before or after the sifting? Because sifting wholemeal flour tends to leave you with a tad less than when you started ;)

Did the healthier version work out? These look awesome but I too would love to make it less of a guilty pleasure :D

ZOMT said...

Hi Meaghan :)
The flour should be sifted then measured - because you are right, wholemeal flour does leave you with a little less.
I haven't tried a healthier version yet; but it is on my to-do list and I will be sure to post it!

Zoe said...

Maybe I missed this somewhere... how many cookies does this make approximately?
I'm very excited to try and make these cookies!
Zoe B

ZOMT said...

Hi Zoe B!
I believe it made about 2 dozen...however many there were it wasn't enough because they went too quickly!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails