Hello! Thanks so much for visiting ZOMTBAKES.

I no longer post here, but share lots of delicious (and nourishing) recipes over at my new website ZOMT.

Please come join the scrumptious + healthy party!


Check out ZOMT + get your free eBook




QUICK FIG PASTRY SCROLLS

Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Posted by ZOMT


I had also bought some beautiful, plump little figs from the market on Saturday and all I had done with them was make porridge. Shameful!

Figs really are the prettiest little things as well; they remind me of my cat Toby back in Melbourne. No really, there is a similarity there I promise. Toby is kind of shaped like a fig; he has always been a little larger towards his tail. In fact I'm pretty sure he was born with a fully grown tail because it always looked so big when he was a kitten.

I digress. Back to the figs. I just wanted to make something with these and had already been baking for hours and life needed me back out of the kitchen... so I cheated and used ready made puff pastry from the freezer.

I told you this is a shameful post. Still tastes good.


Slice your fresh figs and lay them over a sheet of pastry. Sprinkle generously with sugar and cinnamon. (Brown sugar would have been nicer actually.)


Roll it up firmly, tucking the figs in as they try and escape. Leave the end of it under the roll while you cut them into 1-2cm slices with a sharp knife.


Lay them flat on a tray (greased or lined with baking paper*) and drizzle with a little melted butter. Bake until pastry is browned and crisp.


* Do not leave to cool on the baking paper (like I did) because the sugar will stick firmly as it hardens up and you have to painstakingly peel paper from the bases of them. I gave up after six and threw the rest in the bin haha...overall not the most successful last minute bake!

Labels: ,

2 comments:

Alejandra Ramos said...

Those are so pretty! I just want to hang them on the wall!

ZOMT said...

Thanks Alejandra! If you really want to hang them on your wall, I can upload them to my redbubble account where you could purchase the prints from. Just let me know :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails