Hello! Thanks so much for visiting ZOMTBAKES.

I no longer post here, but share lots of delicious (and nourishing) recipes over at my new website ZOMT.

Please come join the scrumptious + healthy party!


Check out ZOMT + get your free eBook




COCOA & WALNUT CAKEY ZOMTCOOKIES

Saturday, May 9, 2009
Posted by ZOMT

Happy Mothers' Day!


Sunday is Mother's Day for those not in the know (like anyone wouldn't know!) and this year is the first time I haven't been with my mum. Sad!

So with her being in Melbourne and me being in Sydney I decided to bake her some delicious cookies and send them down in a little parcel. She is studying very hard at the moment so she needs some rewards along the way.

My mum is the best by the way; if it wasn't for her I wouldn't be where I was today. She is my rock, my best friend and my mummy. I love her to bits. And I can't seem to shop without her so she had better visit soon because I need new shoes!


Of course, chocolate was required. I umm'd and ahhh'd over different flavours; orange, coffee, peanut butter, spice... but settled on a fairly classic chocolate walnut combination.


Cocoa & Walnut Cookies

Ingredients
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
4 tbsp unsalted butter
2/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
7 tbsp cocoa powder
1/3 cup natural yoghurt (I used a low fat)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method
Whisk flour, baking powder & salt together.
Melting the butter in a saucepan and add the cocoa and sugar, stirring until smooth. You should have quite a thick chocolate mix. Remove from heat.
Combine the yoghurt and vanilla in the saucepan, mixing until totally combined.
Stir the chocolate through the dry ingredients and fold until just combined.
Drop tablespoonfuls onto a greased tray. Bake for approx. 9-11 minutes on 180 degree celsius. Don't over cook! You want that cakey softness in the center.


I did add extra cocoa to them, about another tablespoon or so; wanted to make them more cake like in texture; dense cake like though. Not fluffy airy cake. These are seriously rich.

One-at-a-time-with-your-coffee-cookies.


They were that beautiful almost black cocoa colour. Yum.

Some other special people in my life also got some of the cookies; and some sesame coconut fudge that I had made another night. Good for road trips :)


She also got a second LARGE parcel the following day... which had this in it:

How else was she going to make her own cookies?!


Enjoy your Sunday Mary, good luck with the run!


Love your favourite daughter
xo xo

Labels: ,

3 comments:

Chocolaty Lifestyle said...

Mmmm, these are looking adorable :))

ZOMT said...

Thanks Fabjena - they were adorably rich and vanished very quickly!

Cath @ Moo-Lolly-Bar said...

The cookies look great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails