Hello! Thanks so much for visiting ZOMTBAKES.

I no longer post here, but share lots of delicious (and nourishing) recipes over at my new website ZOMT.

Please come join the scrumptious + healthy party!


Check out ZOMT + get your free eBook




BERRY YOGHURT ZOMTUFFINS

Sunday, April 26, 2009
Posted by ZOMT


Not baking for over a week makes me feel rather restless and...just yuck! I need to bake.

So today, I wanted to bake something a bit healthier and more nutritious, since I would be most likely eating it through the week. I had some frozen berries so decided that some muffins would be perfect.

The recipe from the Crabapple Bakery Cupcake Cookbook, replacing half the butter with ricotta cheese (high protein, lower fat) and half the castor sugar with brown sugar and wholemeal instead of white flour. Nothing major, and these still taste delicious!


These ZOMTUFFINS (like that? heh) are perfect with a cup of tea in the afternoon. Or for breakfast all toasty and warm. Take your pick and enjoy.


Berry Yoghurt ZOMTuffins

Ingredients
75g unsalted butter
80g smooth ricotta cheese
1 cup natural yoghurt
2 eggs
1 cup almonds ground to a flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
3/4 tbsp baking powder
1/4 castor sugar
1/4 soft brown sugar
250g frozen mixed berries
dessicated coconut for sprinkling the tops

Method
Melt the butter over a low heat on the stove. In the meantime, add the eggs, yoghurt & ricotta to a large bowl. Once the butter has cooled off a bit, mixed it into the rest of the wet ingredients.


Blend the almond with a 1/4 cup of the wholemeal flour in a processor or blender until fine. I don't have a food processor so I use my blender for EVERYTHING. Smoothie, protein shakes with ice, sauces, soups, nut or grain flours - everything I have thrown in it handles just fine. For the record, it is a Sunbeam Cafe Series Blender and I totally love it. It's vicious and tough.


Combine wholemeal flour, almond flour, sugars and baking powder together. Add the wet ingredients and mix all together; batter should be quite lumpy and thick.


Fold through the frozen berries (cut to smaller pieces if need be) and fill cupcake papers (cute blue spotty ones are good) about three-quarters full. Sprinkle with coconut and bake for 25-30mins on 180 degrees celsius. Makes 12.



2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Im loving the almond meal and ricotta in these!! I can imagine how moist they are!

chocolatecup said...

love your zomtuffins:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails