Hello! Thanks so much for visiting ZOMTBAKES.

I no longer post here, but share lots of delicious (and nourishing) recipes over at my new website ZOMT.

Please come join the scrumptious + healthy party!


Check out ZOMT + get your free eBook




WHOLE ORANGE POPPYSEED ZOMTUFFINS

Thursday, May 7, 2009
Posted by ZOMT


These use the entire orange through the mixture, so they are beautifully fragrant and dense. I love orange poppyseed cakes so the zest and some juice just isn't enough for me! I love that you get little bits of zippy zest through this and it is so dense and soft in texture.

Whole Orange Poppyseed ZOMTUFFINS

Ingredients

2 whole oranges
1 cinnamon stick
2 cup wholemeal flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup natural yoghurt
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1 tsp baking powder
75 g unsalted butter
1/4 cup poppyseeds

Method
Boil the whole oranges for 1 hour with the cinnamon stick. Allow to cool and blend through a processor or blender until smooth.


Combine the flour, baking soda, bicarb and poppyseeds in a bowl.


Beat butter & sugar together, combine yoghurt & oranges through. Add all the dry ingredients and mix through.


Spoon mixture into baking paper cups about 3/4 full (this cake is dense and doesn't rise that much) and bake between 15-20mins on a medium heat.



9 comments:

Erica from Cooking for Seven said...

These look scrumptious. I would never have thought to use a whole orange in any recipe!
So nice to see that you use wholemeal flower. This recipe: bookmarked.

ZOMT said...

Thanks Erica, be sure to let me know when you try the recipe out. Wholemeal flour is great, although not if you want something light and fluffy.

Creative Classroom Core said...

These sound healthy and delicious! I will have to try them soon!
Yum!
Thanks for sharing :)

Justin said...

these look yummy, but wait... you really toss the whole boiled oranges into the blender? that's a new one for me.

ZOMT said...

Justin - YES! The whole orange! Because you have cooked it it goes all soft and tender; you could use just one orange too for a less intense flavour. Try it!
(I've add you to my drool list and am following your blog, looks great!)

Two fit and fun gals said...

these look and sound FANTASTIC! defo bookmarking this for one up coming weekend :O)


i was wondering.. where do you get your cupcake cases from? ive been dying to get them but have not seen them anywhere..

ZOMT said...

Hi Betty, it took me a while to find these cupcake papers too! I bought them online here: http://www.cakedeco.com.au/product.asp?productID=3043
These one are Wilton and called 'Nut & Party cups' so you could also try searching that. Good luck!

Unwanted said...

Hi Zoe,

Can I add dates syrup or agave in replacement to sugar? If I could do that what would be the best measurement for it. Thank you :)

ZOMT said...

Hi Bavani, I'm not sure, you would have to experiment! It's always a bit touch and go when substituting sugar, but here is a recipe for Carrot cupcakes with date syrup that may help you work out how to modify the recipe - http://www.organicsareforeveryone.com/carrot-cupcakes-gluten-free/

Related Posts with Thumbnails